Thursday, August 13, 2009

Next Steps

Well now that I’ve got this going, and finding things to post about on a regular basis, I also see that I’m going to need to use this as a reminder to myself of the things I need to be doing.

To actually become a professional actor I really need to make myself known to the acting world. From what I can tell I need the following things:

-Well rounded Resume detailing experience and skills

-Awesome Head Shots

-Really well connected Agent

-Training/ Experience

-A little bit of Luck (a whole lot wouldn’t hurt either)

I’m sure there are about a hundred other things that I’m not thinking of, but these seem to be the major ones. So let’s go through these.

First off: A well rounded resume. Well I have a resume, I’m not sure if it is well rounded, but it does detail all the work I’ve been doing, and the things that go along with it. I list the work I’ve done on stage, at festival, and on film. I need to add the details for the commercials and the voice over work that I have done as well.

Second: Awesome head shots. I don’t have these. I haven’t been able to pay for them (they’re expensive). However, a friend did offer to do some for me, I just need to be able to meet up with her. There are other photographers I like as well. Cody had his done by an artist who was simply amazing, he really captured Cody’s best sides. I’ve been using pictures that people have managed to get of me, and most of those involve my mouth hanging open due to the fact that I never shut-up. This is unprofessional, and probably weighs heavily against me.

Third: A really well connected Agent. This has been one of my biggest dilemmas. I don’t know how to get an Agent, or even how to contact one. I’ve always just dreamt that one day after a performance some person would walk up to me and say “Mike Davis, I want to sign you on with my Agency!”, but I don’t think this happens anymore. I know it used to, but now actors are a dime a dozen, and agents don’t have to go hunting for talent.

Forth: Training and Experience. I do not have any formal training. I never took acting/ vocal/ dance classes, I never really knew I wanted to be an actor until after I dropped out of college! All I have is experience. While my friends say this is the best kind of training, it’s also the hardest and slowest. And the real trouble is that most directors don’t have the time to give an untrained actor the instruction they need. Luckily I’ve managed to land some Lead roles, and a couple of my directors have taken the time to coach me and help me along.

Fifth: A little bit of Luck. Well there is just no way to control this one. I carry around a Four Leaf Clover, that has been laminated, with me in my wallet. It’s with me everywhere I go. Aside from wearing horseshoes and de-footing rabbits, I don’t know how to attract the luck I’m needing (maybe I need to attach the horseshoes to the detached rabbit feet…). Some would say you create your own luck, and that is kind of what I’m hoping having this blog will do.

So there you have it. My next two steps to actually move forward with my own self growth are to get some really great Head Shots, and start contacting Agents. Wish me luck!

1 comment:

  1. Keep this in mind about a resume: a good theatre resume lists play/role/director/year. And a good theatre resume is never longer than a page. (I was a bad girl with a page and four lines when I auditioned for ITW.) Go ahead and put any kind of vocal work you've been doing on your resume. Even if it isn't formal training, the director will look and see that you've been working to get better.

    Formal training mostly takes place at Art Centers. Lawrence is one of the most reputed places for acting classes.

    And a well-reputed acting agency in Kansas City (the one who got most of us roles in Ride With The Devil) can be found through Heather Laird on IMDB. Here's a link. http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0481962/
    Don't go to her before you have headshots. She won't even look at you.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments and feedback are not only welcome but appreciated!