Friday, August 28, 2009

I found the Golden Snitch!

Yes, that’s right, I found it! The only thing is it’s encased in Marble! Okay, here’s the story. On Sunday Fran, Bailee and I went to the Nelson Atkins Museum of Art for a little bit of culture and fine art. We started in the Egyptian Exhibit (Fran’s Favorite) which moves into the Ancient Greece Exhibit (one of my favorites!). While we are walking through the Greek Exhibit I take notice of this exquisite carved marble Pyxis (a cylindrical box with a lid) that depicts Prince Paris awarding the Golden Apple to Aphrodite in The Judgment of Paris. On the opposite side of this scene are Athena and Hera despairing over the fact that Paris picked Aphrodite as the most beautiful goddess, and in between them I notice this odd little object. As I press my nose to the glass this is what I see:


There right between Athena and Hera is what appears to me to be a small ball with wings a.k.a. the Golden Snitch! I was shocked, I didn't know the Ancient Greeks played Quidditch! Of course I rushed over to Bailee and Fran, played their game of "How many bugs are in this painting" (Answer was 30, lots of ants), and then drug them over to view and photograph my find. Of course this got a really great laugh, and exclamations of shock and amazement, and that just kind of started the fun at the Nelson. We started noticing all sorts of random things that I'd never seen before, and I've been going to the Nelson since I was 7! You would be surprised at how many angry and starving dogs are in paintings with Martyred Saints, as well as some of the interesting posses of people across the ages (adding captions to oil paintings is a lot of fun).

All in all, another great day, and fun was had by all!

1 comment:

Your comments and feedback are not only welcome but appreciated!