Friday, September 18, 2009

2009 Phantom's Feaste Auditions!

Wednesday night found me out at the KC Renaissance Festival grounds standing in an empty feast hall with about 30 other people. All of us were ready to lay our emotion on the line, bare our souls to an as of yet unknown audience, and show how we can break through our own limitations and comforts. Yes ladies and gentlemen, we were there to audition for the 2009 Kansas City Renaissance Festival’s Phantom’s Feaste: Kansas City’s only Adult Halloween Dinner Theatre.

(2008 Phantom's Feaste: Adam as Ancil, and Me as Vlad)

I hadn’t actually been sure I was going to audition this year. I had been looking at being a server, and dancing in the Macabre Cabaret, and doing those wouldn’t have allowed me to perform. When I hadn’t heard back about being a server, I made the decision that I still wanted to be a part of the show, so I’d audition for all the roles I could, and just see what happened.

(2009 Phantom's Feaste: Wendy as Bella)

By the time the evening was over, I had auditioned for Frankenstein’s Monster, Igor, a Maniac, Dr. Jekyll/ Mr. Hyde, Dorian Grey and a Cabaret Dancer. Each role was fun to audition for, and after losing the weight I wanted to, I had no problems running around in next to nothing. Even though I was exhausted, and not at the top of my game, my mind wasn’t making the leaps and connections it normally would have.

(2009 Phantoms Feaste: Maniacs)
(Matt, Me, Andy, Cody)
(Adam, Curtis)
I feel that I gave a very strong audition, and casting could have gone a number of ways. Cody and I were pretty neck and neck for the roles we were both going for (Maniac, Monster, Igor), and we were feeding off of each other’s energy. What made me really happy, was that we weren’t competing! We helped each other because neither of us were in a this or nothing situation. Even though Cody really wanted to be a Maniac, he couldn’t help but be awesome as the Monster or Igor, and I believe that even though he didn’t feel the connection with the Monster, he had it. And that is why the casting went the way it did. Cody will be Frankenstein’s Monster, and I will be Igor! Check out the full Cast List, everyone did a really great job this year. I did not envy Maestro at all, everyone put on their best performances, I was so proud and impressed!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments and feedback are not only welcome but appreciated!